The main jobs of the Secretary are to maintain the various CSEG mailing lists and the CSEG Web site. All graduate students in the CSE division are automatically eligible to be on these mailing lists.
The Secretary is responsible for moderating the CSEG mailing lists. Information on the mailing lists can be found here.
The two main times when that the mailing list memberships need to be updated are:
- At the beginning of the school year when the Secretary receives from Dawn a list of the uniqnames of all the incoming students.
- During the summer, when incoming graduate students need to be added to the email@example.com mailing list.
When first starting, the Secretary should...
- Sit down with the previous Secretary to go over the mailing lists and the various scripts used to manipulate them.
- Change the firstname.lastname@example.org email alias to their email address.
- Change the email@example.com email alias to the email address of the new president.
- Change the password(s) associated with the firstname.lastname@example.org account. The Secretary should inform the President, the VP, and the faculty advisor (Prof. Stout) of the new password(s). Note: Unencrypted email should NOT be used to send the password.
- Update the web-page with the new officers and add the previous officers to the previous officers page.
- Give new officers permission to modify the CSEG calendar and remove old officers.
Adding new officers to mailing lists
- Log onto salem.eecs.umich.edu as user csego, and move to maillist.
- Add the new board-member's uniqnames to the cseg-board mailing list (using the scripts), and delete the old board-member's uniqnames later.
- Update the white-list to include the new board-members and remove the old ones.
- The white-list is the list of uniqnames who can send mails to the mailing lists without needing to be moderated. This list of uniqnames is present in maillist/unmoderated.
Modifying the web-page to reflect the latest set of officers
- Pull up http://cseg.eecs.umich.edu/, navigate to the Current Officers page, and modify the page to reflect the current officers, and update the Previous Officers link to include the previous set. (You may have to log onto the wiki using Officer's Main, to do this).
- To modify web-pages that aren't in the wiki, you'll have to log onto marquette.eecs.umich.edu as user csego, and move to the web directory.
Giving new officers permissions to log into the wiki
- Log onto wiki.eecs.umich.edu as user csego.
- Go to /w/wiki/secure/cseg/, and open up the file .htaccess.
- Add the new officers' uniqnames to the require user user_1 user_2... line, and delete the old officers' uniqnames if necessary.
- The new officers should now be able to login and modify their pages. Send out a mail notifying them of the same, and asking them to verify it.
- I am not sure here: you may need to ask DCO to update the officer's rights to bureaucrat,sysop, once each of the officers has logged in; or do you need to do this for only the new secretary? A reference mail transcript that may provide some clues is here (Note: It is a text file, not a .doc file as it has named).