Officers:CSEG Board Meeting 2009-02-06
From CSEG Wiki
CSEG Board Meeting 2009-02-06
Date: February 06, 2009
- Peer counselling: for jobs at non-research institutions, or small colleges, by students who've given interviews and who're about to walk in May. This could be informal, clubbed together with, and taking place half an hour before, Tea (or Happy Hours, but Tea seems preferred).
- We should have some sort of a information clearing house (via some Wiki), useful for CSE students.
- Some central resource (web-page?) for the reading groups/seminars that go on during the semester (and their approximate times) can be created, and updated at the beginning of each semester. Updating this can added to the President's responsibilities.
- CRLT hold seminars for future academicians etc. CSEG could represent CSE there.
- The Curriculum Committee seems more orientated towards undergrad issues, and so CSEG could pull out from there.
- CSEG might get called for student representation on the 'Recycling Committee'. So, interested board members could proceed with that.
- Poster Presentation Fair for CSE-MS grads: An IBM representative and a Wolverine (that's a company) rep expressed interest in meeting with CSE grads, which led to this idea. MS students could present one of their course-projects (via a poster or a demo), giving the company reps a much better idea of their work, and recommending them during the hiring process. Organizing this and keeping it going over the years with changes in the board will be the major challenge. A process of maintaining contacts over board-transitions will need to be evolved. Roping in some faculty members might be helpful in keeping it going over board-transitions. Overall, it might be good idea and finding students ought to be easy; the hard part would be finding companies and CSEG will have to take up most of the responsibility for organizing this.
- Alex presented the draft for the Corporate Happy Hour Page.
- Not many bar specials at convenient times seem to be available for off-campus Happy Hours. However, in the interest of student attendance, a Friday at 6 pm was deemed to be the best time - so we just have to find bar-specials around those times.
Specific action items:
- Check whether there have been problems for Tea-hosts getting refunds.
- Invite Jennifer Wegner to meet with the Board during the barbeque (when its time becomes known), for her inputs.
- Kaustubh: Let Alex know the number of people on the mailing-lists.
- Nate: Follow up with the Wolverine rep for a potential Happy Hour sponsorship.